Monday, June 17, 2013

Out of Hiding...

Hi RH Blog Family!  I know I am such a bad blogger but the past few months have been crazy busy for me.  The new year is always a very productive time for me at work and with a new home to look after, trying to get into a new routine with the house and being a little further away from things like my son's preschool, my gym, my office - it takes quite a bit of adjusting. 

So far we are enjoying the house.  We had quite a few mishaps out of the gate (which I will share later) but all and all we are really enjoying the space.  Everyone told me it would be a lot of work keeping up with the new place and in the words of some of the kids I coach "You ain't never lied" :) 

We hosted our House Warming which we deemed an open house so friends could come and go all day long as well as a Graduation Party for my sister who recently graduated from George Mason University with a BSN.  This place has been a revolving door with friends and family here just about every weekend since we closed of 3/15... but I'm happy to have a place to entertain comfortably. 

The to-do list is much bigger than the done list - but I'm looking forward to the summer because things slow down a bit for me at work so I'll have a little time to focus on the things I'd really like to accomplish around here and finish the DIY projects that I've started. 

One of the items that was at the top of our list was completing our son's room first so that 1) he moved out of the convertible crib to toddler day bed contraption 2) he felt like he really had his own space in this new house 3) he felt more like a big boy as a 3 almost 4 year old.  He is so proud of his "big boy room" and shows it to everyone that comes by... more than once.  

Here are some pics of his room; before and after. 

Before - And I soooo regret not having ceiling fixtures installed.  That is on the to do list.

He insisted on helping us paint... In his Christmas PJs




After - Ikea Brimness Four Drawer Dresser in Black

Ikea Malm Platform Bed in Black & Target Circo Bedding & Rug
Ikea Lack Side Table in High Gloss White & Mammut Chair

Robot Portraits from Google Images - and enlarged at Kinko's with Ikea frames. 
 
I'm gathering more photos of the place and will be back soon to share our experiences from closing, the 30 day review and everything in between.  I have so much catching up to do and look forward to reading your posts as well. 

12 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!! We are building a Palermo too and I have be dying to see some completed Palermo pics!! His room looks aw-some!!! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His room is awesome. I didn't even think of Ikea for frames. That is a great idea. Cheap artwork on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice room Drake! He did a great job on painting the lines. Good to see you back. I have been wondering how you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're building a Palermo too. I've been following you since February. My daughter has picked this same room. She wants the headboard of her bed to be where your son's dresser is, next to the oval window.

    I love how you decorated his room. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to follow your journey. What is your url home blog address. Congratulations and welcome aboard.

      Delete
    2. I do have a blog that I've keep since 2005 but I haven't written anything about our experience with building. I may write a post here & there about it but my blog isn't dedicated to our home build.

      I've read your blog for awhile and have admired the style you have. I showed my husband and he thought it was a great idea with what you guys did with your closets. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your 2nd floor laundry. We got our 2nd floor laundry plumbed in case we ever want it but we're going have it in the basement instead. The laundry room upstairs is going to be our Doberman's
      room.

      Thanks for the warm welcome!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I forgot - http://www.joybucket.wordpress.com

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVE Drake's room!! I love the colors orange and blue--it is SO MUCH FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! You are giving us some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!!! What did you decide to do with the sliding door? We are building a Palermo and I have no clue how I want to cover it.

    ReplyDelete